Capital Region Area Floodplain Task Force
Public Service Announcement
A message from Melvin L. "Kip" Holden, Mayor of Baton Rouge; Jr. Shelton, Mayor of Central; and David Amrhein, Mayor of Zachary whose cities participate in CRAFT (Capital Region Area Floodplain Task-force), a Multi-Jurisdictional Program designed to inform the public on valuable information
about flood insurance in your area.
announcement on "YouTube"
The East Baton Rouge Parish Mayorís Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness (MOHSEP), in direct coordination with the Mayor-Presidentís Office, is responsible for managing Parish Hazard Mitigation Grant Program Projects. MOHSEP is responsible for ensuring that the Parish Hazard Mitigation Plan is kept current and in compliance with State and Federal regulations, in order to continue receiving federal funding for Declared Disasters.
"Hazard Mitigation" means to reduce the future losses of life, injuries and property resulting from natural hazards through long-term strategies. These long-term strategies include planning, assessments, policy changes, programs, projects and other activities for East Baton Rouge Parish.
Hazard Mitigation Breaks the Cycle
When recurrent disasters take place, such as flooding along
a river/creek, repeated damage and rebuilding occurs. This
recurrent reconstruction is often more expensive as the
years go by, thus influencing the inflation ratio. Hazard
Mitigation breaks this expensive cycle of recurrent damage
and increasing reconstruction costs by taking a long-term
view of rebuilding and recovery following natural disasters
to East Baton Rouge Parish.
What Are the Benefits?
- Reduces the loss of life, property, essential services, critical facilities and economic hardship.
- Reduces short-term and long-term recovery efforts and rebuilding costs.
- Increases cooperation and communication within the community through the planning / outreach process.
- Increases potential for state and federal funding for recovery, retrofitting and reconstruction projects.
- Lowers the Community Rating System (CRS) score for the Parish to reduce Flood Insurance premiums.
What Can You Do to Lower the Risks and Costs of Natural Disasters?
- Be aware of the natural hazards (floods, hurricanes, coastal storms, tornadoes, etc.) that will affect you and your community.
- Learn more about hazard mitigation techniques and help disseminate this information throughout the community.
- Get involved during the Hazard Mitigation Plan Update phase to make Parish Officials aware of certain problems in your neighborhood.